Thursday, January 9, 2014

2013 New years eve in Singapore


The end of the year is always a special day. First of all its new years eve, and secondly its My sister Karina's birthday on the 31st of December. Being the thoughtful brother I am, I always try and make surprises for her every time on her birthday. This new years eve I spent it in Singapore with my family eating out in a restaurant called Zam-zam which is a great place to eat some murtabaks in Arab street. So at dinner, I asked those kind lads at Zam-zam to write "happy birthday" on the murtabaks that we ordered, and also to sing happy birthday for my sister since she loves seeing funny guys. In the end, the whole restaurant ended up singing happy birthday to her, what a success on my end.

Anyways, since its new years eve, me, Karin, and our cousins went out for a stroll to catch some fireworks and just walk around at night around the bayfront since our hotel was in Peninsula and it was the nearest place to catch fireworks, and it seems like a great idea at the time.

But we thought wrong, since the bay is the only place to see fireworks go out in Singapore, the whole Singapore population came down there, thus crowd was forming. Next, the paths leading to the marina was rerouted by the SGPD for crowd control so our fastest way there which is to cross through the esplanade park was blocked. Since roadblocks were everywhere in esplanade park, I had to go back to city hall mrt to catch a train to bayfront. The mrt was relatively fast, but as soon as I got out the bayfront station, crowd gathers again. 

By now, everyone in Singapore which includes locals, tourists, and a group of Quilt wearing Scotish dudes were making their way to the countdown in the bay. Everywhere we go, we are met with crowds. The people in My group were getting tired and cranky. So we opted to find a suitable place to sit on the gardens by the bay park, not inside it, just outside the gardens. 

The clock hits midnight and the countdown reached 0, the fireworks blew up and lit the Singapore skyline full of vibrant colors, just as The Wanted finished their set somewhere on the bay. I know because I recognize their song and the thousands of fan girls screaming out to them. Me and my sist, and my cousins made the most of the "what seemed like 5 minute" firework display from our spot behind the marina bay sands hotel. The fireworks were going off on the other side of the building, the one overlooking the bay and not the gardens. But hey, we saw some fireworks going off and that was fine.

After the display, the crowd moved back inside marina bay sands to make their way into the bayfront mrt station. That meant that our option to take the train is out the window, you should see the crow over there which looks like an ocean of people, CRAZY. So we opted for a bus, but the bus was full and skipped our station. Taxi's were nowhere to be seen, so the only way for us to get back to the hotel was by.... yes, by walking from marina bay sands to raffles city. What a night...

No comments:

Post a Comment