Thursday, April 25, 2013

This isnt a fair, its a market

 Earlier this afternoon, I stand before a crowd of women and craft addicts from across the globe who were on the hunt for Indonesian clothes, jewelery, and various other handicrafts. Inacraft, an annual event where all the vendors and craftsmen from the islands of Indonesia come together and open up shop here in Jakarta to sell their stuff. Nearly anything you can imagine thats Indonesian is here for you to buy. From handmade sutra spun batik cloth's from Cirebon, rotan furniture from Bali and Lombok, to the shady stuff I normally see on a daily basis in Thamrin City. If you want it and you found it, you can buy it.

The place is packed, Im serious, if you think of the busiest market in the world well this fair might as well be as crowded as that market. We almost didnt make it in because it was raining outside and the cars were lining up like crazy just to get in JCC (The convention center). To combat this I called upon the help of the umbrella guys hanging out outside JCC for me to rent their umbrellas for a short trip from the car to the entrance. Gave him 20.000 rupiahs for the 3 of us, he took it, i should have give him 15.000....damn.

 Anyway, Inacraft 2013 is held from Wednesday to Sunday, a bit too long if you ask me, especially if you have to accompany your mum from day 1 until she is satisfied with the stuff she buys here. Today is day 2 of the fair and I have to say that today was not such a bad day because I managed to get my hands on a pair of leather satchels from Yogyakarta. These babies look a lot like the stuff voyej makes but they are a hell of a lot cheaper than the stuff they make. The satchels would match my previously acquired wallet and belt which i bought at Brightspot earlier this year. I had to buy my dad one too because he has a thing for "man purses" and this would be a great gift for him.

Those are random pictures of my sister, she is so happy because she met some dude who was selling clothes in Inacraft. Dont worry, the guy looks pretty nice if you ask me Karin ...

No comments:

Post a Comment